Over the past month, the COVID-19 pandemic has touched every aspect of our community, state, country, and world. It has changed the way we connect to one another, and it has changed the way we give to one another.
While there are stories of greed and hoarding, there are also stories of beauty, generosity, and kindness. Those noble deeds bring to mind this passage from Philippians 4:8-9:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."
At Catholic Charities of Northern Nevada, we have seen the pure, lovely, admirable, and praiseworthy put into practice by organizations and community members who have donated their time, money and products. As a result, we can continue to serve the vulnerable and underserved populations in our community.
Some of the generous donations include:
- Bonanza Produce donated several pallets of fresh produce, which allows us to give each client more than 45 pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables when they visit St. Vincent's Food Pantry.
- NV Energy set aside $20,000 in emergency assistance for Catholic Charities' clients while giving back $1 million to non-profits all across Nevada.
- Harrah's Reno donated two full days of prepared meals, including corned beef and cabbage, and prime rib sandwiches that were served through the St. Vincent's Dining Room.
- CaiE Foods in Sparks donated four pallets of to-go boxes to help feed our Dining Room clients.
- The Charles N. Mathewson Foundation donated $50,000 to support Catholic Charities of Northern Nevada's mission.
- Little Caesars is delivering pizza regularly to help keep our clients fed.
- Q&D Construction's light duty volunteers have and continue to come in every day to work at St. Vincent's Food Pantry.
The outpouring of generosity we are seeing with the changes brought on by COVID-19 has been extraordinary. The blessings we have received are a reminder of the goodness that surrounds us, even during trying times. Thank you to every single person who has helped us help others. May peace be with all of us during this time.
We are so very grateful to those who are opening their hearts and sharing their resources. If you’d like to help, visit our website donation page.